The Chief of Army Staff, Lt. Gen. Tukur Buratai, has said the Army has approved the promotion of 5,000 soldiers deployed against the Boko Haram sect in the North-East.
Buratai said the step was taken to boost the morale of the soldiers involved in the fight against the insurgency in the North-East.
The Army Chief made the comment while speaking at the opening ceremony of the Chief of Army Staff Third Quarter Conference in Abuja on Monday.
He also said the 3,032 soldiers who were recalled from dismissal had been deployed back to the ongoing operation against the insurgents in the North-East.
“Since we came on board, we have introduced several measures aimed at encouraging our troops to give their best in the service of their nation.
The approval of the accelerated promotion of 5,000 soldiers was to redeem the promise made by my predecessor to the troops fighting insurgents in the North-East.
“It is my belief that this promotion, coupled with other incentives, will encourage our troops to fight for our country.”